artsymusingsofabibliophile

artsy musings of a bibliophile

WILD CARDS
Tumble & Fall
Alexandra Coutts
The S-Word
Chelsea Pitcher

Stones for Ibarra (Contemporary American Fiction)

Stones for Ibarra - Harriet Doerr Stones for Ibarra is one of those books which should be read at least once in life. I thought that I will like this book as much as I like To Kill a Mockingbird or Frankenstein but I just couldn't. However, what made Stones for Ibarra a rediscovery of life for the Evertons was the division of chapters in stories of the people of Ibarra. If nothing else, Ibarra isn't one of those honest-to-God small towns in far off rural Mexico.

While the community of Ibarra, from the cura to Remediosa Acostas, is fascinated and awed by the lifestyle of the American couple. It doesn't go unnoticed that the Evertons are actually subtly disapproving of them. Or more particularly their day-to-day routine.

For Sara Everton, it is her ultimate belief in medicine and doctors that she ignores the glaring reality of her husband's deteriorating condition as a signal of his inevitable death. Yet for Richard Everton, it is much more about accepting it and moving forward and as a result, at times he forget that his wife is far behind him.

In all, the novel is beautifully written and offers the reader a view of how things need to be learned the hard way at times and why is it all necessary. The Evertons learn that lesson, especially Sara in the last chapter of the book. But so do the people of Ibarra for they are the ones bringing stones.