artsymusingsofabibliophile

artsy musings of a bibliophile

WILD CARDS
Alexandra Coutts
The S-Word
Chelsea Pitcher

Five Flavors of Dumb

Five Flavors of Dumb - Antony John Wow, this book is freaking awesome! Five Flavors of Dumb crosses a threshold that at least I never though could have been crossed. Yes, music is all-consuming and doesn't require proper functioning of the senses to feel it. But Antony John showed just how it is done; how it is possible to feel the rhythm in your heart and believe in it. There could have been no way for Piper to hear Dumb's music, but that wasn't what mattered most when it came down to managing the band.

It all started with a seemingly dumb event at the school's steps and eventually, rolled out into a grand moment in the lives of the people connected to the band. The title bothered me throughout most of the book, but then I discovered the real five flavors of Dumb. Antony John is a genius for creating such a beautiful and impressive piece of fiction. Five Flavors of Dumb is not about incapabilities or limits. It's about what you are capable of when you know that your limits extend to far greater lengths than you ever imagined.

Piper is one strong lead character and I never would have thought that I would appreciate a color called 'Atomic Pink' in a million years but God, it inspired me! Each one of the members of Dumb and even Piper's family contributed so much life into the book that it would have been impossible to imagine Five Flavors of Dumb if even a dialogue was changed.

I am in complete awe of Five Flavors of Dumb and of the author, Antony John who dares to take on a subject as fragile as deafness and make it rock. The book is a story about the change that happens when 'suckiness' is shed off in order to embrace 'coolness.' I was very pleased how the author trashed the stereotypes about rock-able geeks, soft beauty, rock star inclinations, pretty boy smiles and silent rockers.