artsymusingsofabibliophile

artsy musings of a bibliophile

WILD CARDS
Alexandra Coutts
The S-Word
Chelsea Pitcher

Coraline

Coraline - Dave McKean, Neil Gaiman I remember catching glimpses of the movie adaptation of Coraline and the concept of an alternate universe with button-eyed parents seemed interesting. But then I found out that there is a book and I would always put off watching movie adaptations for as long as I don't finally get to read the book.

Coraline, no doubt, is in a league of its own. It has a dark, almost sinister feel to it and the day-to-day life of the Jones family didn't seem that normal to me. For a kid, this book would be enough to scare them for a month. The story is grounded in the fact that exploring out of boredom can result in unwanted attraction from err, otherworldly creatures.

What somewhat freaked me out was the inclusion of rats and their circus routine. The characters apart from Coraline's parents were also not so normal although Miss Spink and Miss Forcible were created with best interests at heart. The Other Mother was a very interesting character and I liked the way she was portrayed and detailed in the book. Talk about evil!

What I really liked about Coraline was, apart from being adventurous, she was brave and didn't back down easily. I liked her a lot when she said, "I don't want whatever I want. Nobody does. Not really. What kind of fun would it be if I just got everything I ever wanted just like that, and it didn't mean anything? What then?"

Overall, Coraline is an average enjoyable read and though the genre is nowhere near my interests, I am glad I read it. It's a good kind of variety to add to my bookshelf. I appreciate Neil Gaiman for creating the alternate world that way he did.