artsymusingsofabibliophile

artsy musings of a bibliophile

WILD CARDS
Tumble & Fall
Alexandra Coutts
The S-Word
Chelsea Pitcher

The Picture of Dorian Gray (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)

The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde, Camille Cauti "To cure the soul by means of the senses and the senses by means on the soul." I have never read a book that had as many philosophies as The Picture of Dorian Gray had. The character of Lord Henry was charming yet politically incorrect while, the character of Dorian Gray had layers upon layers on it.

When I started reading the book, I liked the quirkiness but after some point, the adoration of Basil Howard towards Dorian and of Dorian himself, towards Lord Henry seemed to be slightly sexually innuendoed. The base of the story however, is simple and predictable but, the journey towards such corruption is a thought-provoking read.

The revelation of desires of the society and the shame that it veils in the pitch darkness of the night is very much the intention of Oscar Wilde. To be marred by an artist, appreciated by a man, appeased, but then hated by the society and in the end, loathed by oneself; are the things Dorian Gray experience. And that experience, as Lord Henry states is, "We can have in life but one great experience at best and the secret of life is to reproduce that experience as often as possible...Especially when one has been wounded by it."