artsymusingsofabibliophile

artsy musings of a bibliophile

WILD CARDS
Tumble & Fall
Alexandra Coutts
The S-Word
Chelsea Pitcher

First, Do No Harm: The Dramatic Story of Real Doctors and Patients Making Impossible Choices at a Big-City Hospital - Lisa Belkin First, Do No Harm is an essential book for each and every person present on earth although, it wouldn't be that way. It is a book addressing the many complexities of being a doctor. The question it keeps on asking and which also taps into our conscience, is that whether medicine is ultimately aiming to do too much.

The book essentially deals with a big city hospital and addresses four different cases involving ethics as the chief topic of concern. Increasingly, medicine is becoming about economics and doctors about businessmen. Although, no one would like to think so hospitals as giving more importance to insurance and money rather than the patient and doctors to prefer patients on the basis of their financial status.

Though, the answer to 'What is life worth?" and what can be considered as a life worth saving or to just having to prolong death is different. Yet, the book has nothing to with religion and everything to do with how a particular case can be dealt with.

In all, it is a wonderful book which may brings tears to the eyes especially when considering that it is a non-fiction book. I salute Lisa Belkin for writing such a book and opening many doors to the unknown. I would highly recommend it.