artsymusingsofabibliophile

artsy musings of a bibliophile

WILD CARDS
Alexandra Coutts
The S-Word
Chelsea Pitcher

Sykosa, Part I: Junior Year

Sykosa - Justin OrdoƱez Read my review of Sykosa and take part in the giveaway over at my blog artsy musings of a bibliophile

Despite knowing what Sykosa might be about, I really didn't know what to expect from it. I didn't expect it to have such strong R-rated language and so, I was unprepared for it. While Sykosa is a young adult book, it is for people above 18. Sykosa is a book that deals with girls who are broken from the inside, who don't want to feel; who are like Sykosa. Rebellious yet under control, living in denial. All because Sykosa is afraid; afraid of the past, of what happened. It is simply too much to bear, to even think about it. So all there is in her mind about last year is dominated by a void. Emptiness.

Sykosa is a difficult character to comprehend. She is complex and there are layers upon layers of Sykosa that needs to be uncovered to really know what is Sykosa all about. Sykosa is a book that takes each aspect of into account and so there is a lot of cursing involved. Along with drugs, obsession over one's looks and of course, boys. But Sykosa also feels the blackness which threatens to take over her if she isn't looking over her shoulder often.

Sykosa comes more under the genre of slice-of-life because it is extremely focused on the incident that occurred last year. The circumstances of ignoring its existence on the part of the very strict Academy and her too-abiding-by-rules parents and the inevitable denial that leads her to react by smoking, buying lingerie, masturbating and meeting with Tom behind the chapel every day after school.

Tom, the boy who was there with her when the incident occurred. Who doesn't say anything about last year because he knows Sykosa is not ready to handle it. But he saved her and so, her best friend, Nikosa feels that Sykosa is simply into him because she owes him for saving her life. Maybe she does. But it runs far deeper than that. Also, Niko has her own nightmares to deal with what with her mother sliding in and out of her life and juggling between a boy she can't let go and the one she is dating.

You see, after last year, Niko went from being simply Niko to Niko 2.0 because of the revenge she wanted from the Bitches at school. But somehow, with everything happening, she became Niko 3.0 which is basically Niko 1.0 without the conscience. So to say that Sykosa is a book that deals with raw emotions and talks with no sugar-coating on them whatsoever would be almost correct. Sykosa is a very character-driven story.

The characters in Sykosa are very realistic, their reactions to things that happen in life are very thought-provoking, their problems are human. When Sykosa finds herself in an unusual situation all she can think about it is, "This isn't her life, this isn't her story." This says a lot about Sykosa, the blackness and the mentality and psychology of a person scarred for life. But this isn't just about Sykosa, it is about everyone who was in there when that incident happened last year.

In all, Sykosa is a very unique story so I would suggest the reader to take it all with an open mind. It is all perfect in the world for Sykosa. I enjoyed reading about the junior year of Sykosa and I look forward to Part II; the excerpt truly left me wanting more of Sykosa.