artsymusingsofabibliophile

artsy musings of a bibliophile

WILD CARDS
Alexandra Coutts
The S-Word
Chelsea Pitcher

Socialpunk (Socialpunk #1)

Socialpunk (Socialpunk #1) - Monica Leonelle Socialpunk is the first ever cyberpunk book that I had a chance to read and I must admit, I liked how the genre works. The earth as we know has completely changed and Ima lives in the domed city of Chicago with no transportation to go in or out of the city. After all, out there is just a vast wasteland and communication with the outside world is out of the question.

Socialpunk begins when Dash, Ima's best friend, help take her to the club to meet someone. Things get awry and out of control at the club and one of the strange hooded figures, Vaughn, comes to the rescue of Ima and Nahum and help them escape to the Silicon City. Dash is left behind in the confusion of the explosion.

Silicon City is nothing short of awe-inspiring and breathtaking. The world building is done perfectly. I found myself transported to a world of silver structures, bionic eyes, degenerates, nutritional juices as food and running as a way of transport. Vaughn introduces them to his hash consisting of Ember and Nasser, their leader.

All Ima wants to do is to save Dash when they discover the plan of destroying the Domed City. Vaughn realizes that the latest virtual reality he tested is not virtual but flesh and blood real. He is thrown off and Nasser decides to help Ima find Dash and join their hash.

Socialpunk is a fast-paced action novel and so there is something going on all the time. Romantically, everyone seems to be in love which can get confusing but is also very interesting to read about. In the end though, it is up to Ima what she chooses to do when she stumbles upon the plan for her home. Socialpunk ended rather abruptly though fittingly. Nevertheless, it left me wanting more of the Silicon City and its inhabitants.