artsymusingsofabibliophile

artsy musings of a bibliophile

WILD CARDS
Alexandra Coutts
The S-Word
Chelsea Pitcher

The Kite Runner

The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini The Kite Runner offers so much in the name of honesty and loyalty. I'm just speechless to the core. Even a mute animal cannot take that much inequality and degradation. The innocent friendship between Amir and Hassan is described with such intricate details and the expectations of both of them are justified.

Amir is shown as a snob who considers Hassan to be a servant and takes him for granted. Hassan, on the other hand, craves a deeper friendship from Amir knowing at the same time that he will never achieve that.

The book is about that moment in a life's journey in which the realizations hit when all is lost. That moment aptly defines the wrath Hassan had to endure and Amir, who is unknown to all of it. War hits and Amir leaves the country. He moves on with his life first in Pakistan and then in America. But he is to return one day to his long lost childhood friend, Hassan and learn the truth about Hassan's identity and loyalty.

But is it too late for Amir? This is what Khaled Hosseini tends to explore in The Kite Runner and this exploration compels us to think about our pride. And whether it is worth it in the end.